With travel restrictions and social distancing in play, Virtual Training is the most sought-after solution today. In this article, I share 6 immersive Self-paced learning strategies for maximizing the efficiency of your Virtual Training programs.
While the Virtual Training delivery has been a significant part of corporate training delivery, the COVID-19 crisis has clearly accelerated its need across the world. With travel restrictions and social distancing, L&D teams are looking at approaches to convert the classroom/ILT sessions to Virtual Trainings.
What Are the Options to Consider as You Convert the Classroom/ILT Sessions to Virtual Trainings?
This Virtual Training Transformation can be handled in three formats:
- Instructor-Led Training (ILT) to Virtual Instructor-Led Training (VILT) migration: Leveraging the platform to create the required impact and learning gain in the new mode.
- Blended Training: Building up the VILT sessions with components of Self-paced, Online Training or Mobile Learning through their expertise in arriving at the right blend.
- Fully Online (Self-paced Training): Offering highly immersive learning approaches such as Microlearning, Mobile Learning, Gamification, and much more.
Remember: In your Virtual Training Transformation from classroom/ILT mode, you cannot map the classroom/ILT session “as is” to create an identical or better impact and improve Virtual Training efficiency.
Instead, you need to:
- Use effective Digital pedagogy to manage Virtual Training Transformation.
- Identify which mode will work best – VILT/Blended or Self-paced Mobile First/Mobile ready Online courses.
- Leverage other strategies that create high motivation, participation, and engagement for remote learners [these could include Simulation, Gamification, 3D, Virtual Reality (VR), Augmented Reality (AR), and so on].
- Determine training and learning effectiveness – through online assessment strategies.
- Recommend delivery modes and platforms.
The transition to Virtual Training is a journey, where the elements of training may shift gradually from primarily ILT to VILT or Blended and/or ultimately to a Fully Self-paced Training mode.
In this article, I focus on maximizing the Virtual Training efficiency through 6 immersive Self-paced Learning strategies.
What Are the Key Benefits of Self-paced Virtual Training?
- Flexibility: Learn when/where you want (especially from home!).
- Scalability: Supports the learning needs of small as well as expanding, large remote workforce.
- Adaptability: Is available on multiple learning devices, platforms, and operating environments.
- Customization: Is easily configurable for different roles/responsibilities.
- Personalization: Delivers unique training for each learner as opposed to a one-size-fits-all approach.
- Multi-generational workforce support: Boomers, Gen-X’ers/Y’ers, and Millennials can each create unique learning paths to support their individual learning styles.
What Immersive Virtual Learning Strategies Can You Use as You Opt for a Fully Self-paced Online Mode?
To create effective and immersive Virtual Learning experiences, consider leveraging a Learning and Performance Ecosystem-based approach for your workforce. This mode works on the principle of continuous learning (rather than discrete learning) and provides value-adds to the learners over distance.
Here are 6 immersive Virtual Learning strategies that you can use as you opt for a Fully Self-paced Online mode:
- Capture attention about training opportunities – Leverage Newsletters and Teaser Videos to highlight the significance of the initiative.
- Build awareness around What’s In It For Me (WIIFM) – Highlight what value this training provide to the learners.
- For Formal training, opt for immersive learning strategies like:
- Scenario Based Learning.
- Interactive Story Based Learning.
- Branching Scenarios.
- Complex Decision-making Simulations.
- Augment Formal training with Performance Support Tools (PSTs) or job aids – For knowledge application/assisting the learners at the moment of need.
- Post the training,
- Reinforce learning to minimize knowledge erosion (addressing the forgetting curve).
- Continually challenge workers with more complex and advanced learning content.
- Provide practice zones where learners can hone their skills.
- Reconnects – Additional cues through related curated assets to keep the learning journey going.
- Offer Social or Collaborative Learning opportunities so learners can learn through peer networking and other group forums – both within and outside of the work environment.
The unique capabilities of an immersive Virtual Learning experience help seamlessly connect learners with a broad array of learning content, best practice processes, and supporting tools. They provide a richer and holistic approach to delivering Virtual Training, which helps enhance workforce performance.
I hope this article provides the required insights to maximize your Virtual Training efficiency with the Self-paced Learning strategies.
If you have any specific queries, do contact me or leave a comment below.
- Free eBook: Virtual Training Guide: How To Future-Proof Your Virtual Training Transformation
- Free eBook: COVID-19: Tips, Strategies, Αnd Αn Action Plan To Handle The Training In The Changed Workplace Dynamics
- 24 Virtual Training Best Practices to Follow When Shifting to Remote Learning
- 5 Amazingly Effective Strategies to Convert Your ILT Program to High-impact Virtual Training
- Why Should You Adopt Blended Learning, and How Can You Design It to Ensure Success?
8 Benefits Of Informal Learning In The Workplace
Informal learning is self-directed learning that is driven by learner’s passion and motivation. In this article, I outline the differences…
> Read Insight
Free eBook: 12 Examples That Prove Mobile Learning And Microlearning Is An Essen...
This free eBook, 12 Examples That Prove Mobile Learning And Microlearning Is An Essential Combination To Meet Your Learning Mandate,…
> Read Insight
5 Types of mLearning You Should Use in Your Training and Development Programs
With “lockdown logistics,” training and development program managers look for new ways to fulfill their training delivery mandates. This article…
> Read Insight