With travel restrictions and social distancing in play, Virtual Training is the most sought-after solution today. In this article, I share 6 immersive Self-paced learning strategies for maximizing the efficiency of your Virtual Training programs.
While the Virtual Training delivery has been a significant part of corporate training delivery, the COVID-19 crisis has clearly accelerated its need across the world. With travel restrictions and social distancing, L&D teams are looking at approaches to convert the classroom/ILT sessions to Virtual Trainings.
What Are the Options to Consider as You Convert the Classroom/ILT Sessions to Virtual Trainings?
This Virtual Training Transformation can be handled in three formats:
- Instructor-Led Training (ILT) to Virtual Instructor-Led Training (VILT) migration: Leveraging the platform to create the required impact and learning gain in the new mode.
- Blended Training: Building up the VILT sessions with components of Self-paced, Online Training or Mobile Learning through their expertise in arriving at the right blend.
- Fully Online (Self-paced Training): Offering highly immersive learning approaches such as Microlearning, Mobile Learning, Gamification, and much more.
Remember: In your Virtual Training Transformation from classroom/ILT mode, you cannot map the classroom/ILT session “as is” to create an identical or better impact and improve Virtual Training efficiency.
Instead, you need to:
- Use effective Digital pedagogy to manage Virtual Training Transformation.
- Identify which mode will work best – VILT/Blended or Self-paced Mobile First/Mobile ready Online courses.
- Leverage other strategies that create high motivation, participation, and engagement for remote learners [these could include Simulation, Gamification, 3D, Virtual Reality (VR), Augmented Reality (AR), and so on].
- Determine training and learning effectiveness – through online assessment strategies.
- Recommend delivery modes and platforms.
The transition to Virtual Training is a journey, where the elements of training may shift gradually from primarily ILT to VILT or Blended and/or ultimately to a Fully Self-paced Training mode.
In this article, I focus on maximizing the Virtual Training efficiency through 6 immersive Self-paced Learning strategies.
What Are the Key Benefits of Self-paced Virtual Training?
- Flexibility: Learn when/where you want (especially from home!).
- Scalability: Supports the learning needs of small as well as expanding, large remote workforce.
- Adaptability: Is available on multiple learning devices, platforms, and operating environments.
- Customization: Is easily configurable for different roles/responsibilities.
- Personalization: Delivers unique training for each learner as opposed to a one-size-fits-all approach.
- Multi-generational workforce support: Boomers, Gen-X’ers/Y’ers, and Millennials can each create unique learning paths to support their individual learning styles.
What Immersive Virtual Learning Strategies Can You Use as You Opt for a Fully Self-paced Online Mode?
To create effective and immersive Virtual Learning experiences, consider leveraging a Learning and Performance Ecosystem-based approach for your workforce. This mode works on the principle of continuous learning (rather than discrete learning) and provides value-adds to the learners over distance.
Here are 6 immersive Virtual Learning strategies that you can use as you opt for a Fully Self-paced Online mode:
- Capture attention about training opportunities – Leverage Newsletters and Teaser Videos to highlight the significance of the initiative.
- Build awareness around What’s In It For Me (WIIFM) – Highlight what value this training provide to the learners.
- For Formal training, opt for immersive learning strategies like:
- Scenario Based Learning.
- Interactive Story Based Learning.
- Branching Scenarios.
- Complex Decision-making Simulations.
- Augment Formal training with Performance Support Tools (PSTs) or job aids – For knowledge application/assisting the learners at the moment of need.
- Post the training,
- Reinforce learning to minimize knowledge erosion (addressing the forgetting curve).
- Continually challenge workers with more complex and advanced learning content.
- Provide practice zones where learners can hone their skills.
- Reconnects – Additional cues through related curated assets to keep the learning journey going.
- Offer Social or Collaborative Learning opportunities so learners can learn through peer networking and other group forums – both within and outside of the work environment.
The unique capabilities of an immersive Virtual Learning experience help seamlessly connect learners with a broad array of learning content, best practice processes, and supporting tools. They provide a richer and holistic approach to delivering Virtual Training, which helps enhance workforce performance.
I hope this article provides the required insights to maximize your Virtual Training efficiency with the Self-paced Learning strategies.
If you have any specific queries, do contact me or leave a comment below.
- Free eBook: Virtual Training Guide: How To Future-Proof Your Virtual Training Transformation
- Free eBook: COVID-19: Tips, Strategies, Αnd Αn Action Plan To Handle The Training In The Changed Workplace Dynamics
- 24 Virtual Training Best Practices to Follow When Shifting to Remote Learning
- 5 Amazingly Effective Strategies to Convert Your ILT Program to High-impact Virtual Training
- Why Should You Adopt Blended Learning, and How Can You Design It to Ensure Success?
Gamification Isn’t a Fad, Get Onboard Before it’s Too Late
There are countless businesses trying to accomplish a myriad of unique goals. But they all have one thing in common–the desire to increase…
> Read Insight
Case Study Featuring The Use Of YouTube Content In A Trackable Interactive Video...
Videos are a primary source of information and learning. In this article, I share a case study that outlines how…
> Read Insight
How to Leverage Social Learning to Support Remote Learning Programs
Ongoing work from home mandates make it increasingly challenging for L&D teams to deliver effective learning support to remote learners…
> Read Insight