Given the impact and higher engagement which videos provide, they are used extensively in corporate training. In this article, I share pointers on how you can successfully integrate video-based learning into your training strategy.
Why Integrate Video-Based Learning Into Your Training Strategy
While using videos for training is an established practice, it is in the recent past that they have come to the forefront.
This acceleration to adapt videos as a core component of a learning strategy is on account of the wider adoption of mobile learning or mLearning and microlearning-based training.
Both leverage extensively on videos in many formats for:
- Formal training
- Just-In-Time learning aids
- Informal learning
- Social learning
- Supporting ILT/VILT
What Are The Benefits Of The Video-Based Learning Strategy?
The benefits of video-based learning strategy are as follows:
- Videos appeal to the multi-generational workforce.
- They offer a high engagement quotient.
- Videos can be used to supplement most of corporate training needs.
- When offered as a part of learning paths featuring microlearning nuggets, videos can be used for formal training as well as for Performance Support.
- They can be used extensively to support ILT/VILT sessions.
- They can be used to promote social learning.
Sounds Too Good To Be True: Are There Any Limitations Of The Video-Based Learning Strategy That One Should Watch Out For?
While videos as a training medium are a great option and organizations look at adopting the video-based learning strategy, they must also look at solutions that can mitigate its limitations. For instance:
- While classic videos do have the limitation of “passivity” as the only control they offer to the learner is a start/stop/pause, this can be overcome with the Next Gen offering of interactive videos.
- Till a few years ago, the video-based learning strategy had to factor for high costs. Today, you have a range of video development tools to match lower budgets.
- The new crop of video development tools offers rapid development and the flexibility to update quickly.
As You Look At Adopting The Video-Based Learning Strategy As A Significant Part Of Your Corporate Training, How Can You Maximize Its Potential?
Let’s begin this exercise by taking a step back and look at why organizations invest in training. From an L&D perspective, the trainings help users in:
- Fixing a specific gap in the learner proficiency.
- Addressing a specific need, ranging from learning more, solve a problem, pick up a tip or a learning summary.
- Enhancing their skills.
- Applying the acquired learning on the job.
- Triggering a behavioral change.
To achieve this mandate, you must work with a comprehensive Learning and Performance ecosystem-based approach. This works on “learning as a continuum” rather than discrete trainings that happen only certain times a year.
On similar lines, as you look at adopting the video-based learning strategy, you can map videos to match each component of the Learning and Performance ecosystem as listed here:
- Teaser videos
- Videos to create awareness
- Videos to support key change management initiatives
Watch And Learn
- Videos for learning specific concepts or skills
- Videos to demonstrate processes
Practice And Apply
- Videos to practice acquired skills
Reinforce And Instant Job Aids
- Videos to reinforce messaging and offset the “Forgetting Curve”
- Videos for Performance Support intervention (instant learning aids/job aids)
What Tips Can Help You Maximize The Impact Of The Video-Based Learning Strategy?
To maximize the impact of the video-based learning strategy, here are 5 tips that would help:
- Design Videos In An Engaging Format
Ensure that the design format enhances the stickiness of learning.
- Keep The Videos Short And Bite-Sized
- Ensure That Each Video Has A Specific Objective
This will help learners meet a specific outcome.
- Plan For Accessibility Of Videos By Adding Transcripts Or Closed Captioning
- Opt For Interactive Videos
They enable you to handle the challenge of the passivity of classic videos.
With an interactive video-based approach, you can overlay:
- Learning interactions similar to eLearning including Click and reveal, hot spots, carousal and so on
- Gamification elements
- Checkpointing the learning through interim knowledge checks and end of video assessments
- Complex decision-making based learning paths that can offer different branches of learning paths based on learners’ choices
- Learning aids including quick reference guides, ready reckoners, and learning summaries
Interactive videos offer 2 other crucial value adds:
- You can track learner performance through integrated learner analytics.
- They provide SCORM output that enables tracking from LMS.
- A video-based learning strategy can play a very significant role in establishing a culture of continuous learning in your organization.
- Videos lend themselves to align with the learners’ needs of personal and professional development.
- Videos score high on the engagement quotient.
- Bite-sized learning nuggets enable them to learn on the go or practice during their waiting periods.
The use of the Learning and Performance ecosystem-based approach (rather than discrete videos) will help you leverage the video-based learning strategy to its fullest potential.
I hope this article provides you with pointers that you can use to successfully integrate video-based learning into your training strategy.
If you have any queries or need any specific support, do contact me at email@example.com.
- 5 Examples of Interactive Video Solutions for Corporate Training
- 5 Ways to Increase the Impact of Your Interactive Video-Based Learning
- Case Study Featuring The Use Of YouTube Content In A Trackable Interactive Video Format
- Free eBook: Video-Based Learning for Corporate Training—14 Examples—Including Interactive & Microlearning Videos
10 Pointers You Can Use To Create An Effective Outsourcing Strategy For eLearning
To align with a rapidly changing learningscape and pressure on training budgets, organizations opt for outsourcing eLearning development. In this…
> Read Insight
How To Create A Sticky Learning Experience In Compliance Training
In this article, I will outline some of the innovative approaches we have adopted to create "sticky learning experiences" in…
> Read Insight
Free eBook: COVID-19 - Survival Guide for L&D Teams - Featuring Tips, Strategies...
My eBook, COVID-19: Survival Guide For L&D Teams Featuring Tips, Strategies, And An Action Plan To Handle The Challenge, is…
> Read Insight