Interactive Videos For Corporate Training: How Is An Interactive Video Different From Traditional Training Videos?
Although using videos for training has been an established practice for several years, they fall short when the run lengths are long, as it gets difficult to retain the learner’s attention till the end. The passivity or lack of engagement becomes a drawback when cognition levels are higher and the learners are required to analyze and apply the learning.
This is exactly where interactive videos fit in.
Today’s technologies enable us to provide levels of engagement and interaction on videos that are typically part of any eLearning or mobile learning course.
As a result, we can leverage on the power of video and enhance the learning experience through a series of interactions that interactive videos provide.
What Are The Benefits Of Using Interactive Videos?
Besides providing a better learning experience through interactions, some of the other benefits of interactive videos are as follows:
- High impact.
You can enhance the impact of classic videos by up to 10X through interactive videos.
- High learner engagement.
Varied interactions and personalization will resonate better with your learners.
- Meet the required cognition level.
Interaction cues allow tremendous control to push cognition levels to analysis and application.
- Appeal to varied learner profiles.
Interactive videos are not intended for Millennials alone. In fact, they appeal to all learner profiles.
- Enhance the impact of your mLearning or mobile learning solutions and leverage on the current trends.
Today, interactive videos or learning experience.
How Can You Use Interactive Videos In Corporate Training?
When we look at the 70-20-10 model of learning, we see that usage of interactive videos maps to formal training as well as for Performance Support Tools. They can also be used to enhance your blended training delivery.
- As formal training, they are a great fit for typical corporate training needs, including:
- Soft Skills.
- Leadership training.
- Product training.
- Sales training.
- Behavioral change.
- Change management.
- They find a great fit as Performance Support Tools (PSTs). By providing interactive video-based learning aids within the learner’s workflow, you will see the application of the formal learning increase.
- This is not all. As you look at supplementing your Instructor Led Training (ILT) or Virtual Instructor Led Training (VILT) with online resources (moving to blended delivery), you can use interactive videos for role plays and reinforcement/simulations-based assessments.
In the examples that I have shortlisted to show how you can use interactive videos for corporate training, I have picked instances that map to these three ways to deploy them.
Before I move on to the 5 examples of interactive videos for corporate training, let me outline the key facets of an interactive video framework.
Highlights Of Our Interactive Video Framework
We at EI Design use a customizable interactive video framework to introduce interaction levels similar to the interactions that learners typically experience in a traditional eLearning or an mLearning course.
Unlike other online solutions offering interactive videos, our interactive framework:
- Offers the flexibility of further customization based on the learning needs.
- Offers multi-device compatibility: The videos work across multiple platforms such as Desktops, Tablets, and Smartphones (iOS and Android).
- Enables you to include branching within a single video or multiple videos.
- Allows inclusion of Gamification elements.
- Provides room to include videos from online sources, like YouTube, Vimeo, etc.
- Is compatible with AICC, SCORM 1.2, 2004, and TinCan. It can be hosted on LMS/LRS or can be run as a standalone piece on a web server.
- Comes with SCORM-related features such as completion time, resume, and scoring in LMS/LRS.
Interaction points for learners: The framework is designed to break the monotony of the learning experience. This is reflected in the various interactivity types that the framework offers, which include:
- Button click.
- Fill in the blanks.
- Single-choice assessments.
- Multiple-choice assessments.
- Drag and drop.
5 Killer Examples Of Interactive Videos For Corporate Training – Created In Our Interactive Videos Framework
Here’s a short video that highlights the benefits of interactive videos with 5 examples on how they can be used to boost the impact of learning.
Example 1 – Application Simulation Video Made Interactive
This video showcases how we brought in engaging interactivities to an application simulation course of Microsoft Word application with the interactive video approach. The video (containing narration) features how to use Microsoft Word.
We’ve jazzed up the learning with interactivities such as click and learn, some review questions, and the summary of learning, which appear on the video as overlay popups.
Example 2 – Interactive Video For Compliance Training
This video nugget features high-impact, contextual imagery and recaps the basic aspects of a Health, Safety, and Compliance (HSE) compliance course. We brought in inline checks at the end of each feature explained in the video and created a trackable asset (the Interactive Video is SCORM compatible).
This solution is an example of how you can multiply the impact of your existing compliance-related videos and convert them into rich and interactive formats adhering to SCORM or AICC standards.
Example 3 – Interactive Video For Corporate Training On Managing Customer Expectations
This interactive video showcases how we have transformed a scenario-based video into an engaging, interactive experience.
The video is on Managing Customer Expectations, and while the story plays out in a logical flow, viewers get to pause the video at regular intervals and check their understanding of the concept along the way.
To keep the learners engaged, it includes review questions, click and display, hot spots, drag and drop, and other interactivities.
The scenarios in the video help learners relate to the subject and provide a realistic feel in terms of how they should treat customers and what they should do to meet customer expectations. The interactive video, being a short microlearning nugget, also helps learners learn the bite-sized way.
Example 4 – ILT Converted To Interactive Video
This interactive video solution showcases how we have converted an ILT session into an engaging learning experience.
In this video, we have an Instructor demonstrating the features and benefits of eBridge, our review and collaboration tool.
We’ve pepped up the learning journey with interactivities such as click and learn, info highlights, and drag and drop.
This solution is a classic example of how you can multiply the impact of your existing videos and convert the recordings of ILT sessions into a rich, interactive format.
Although the core is still the Instructor’s recording, the approach is now more learner-centric.
Example 5 – Training Video On Financial Subject Made Interactive
This video showcases how we have brought a relatively dry financial concept of Japanese Candlesticks to life with the interactive video approach.
The video features eye-catching visuals in the form of illustrations, icons, graphics, photographs, and animations with a voiceover explaining the subject playing out in the background.
The interaction points in the video come in the form of options to take notes and voice controls to navigate through the video. Learners can either type in their notes or provide feedback by recording their voice.
Learners can also learn using the drop-down interactivity to choose the right options in a simulation designed exclusively to explain the concept of Japanese Candlestick charts.
I hope these 5 killer examples of interactive videos help you identify how you can use them for your corporate training. If you have any queries or need any specific support, do contact me at email@example.com.
Take a look at this video that showcases the key features of our interactive video framework. You can see the various interactivities that can be used to create an engaging learning experience.
- How Can You Improve Your Corporate Training ROI Through Interactive Videos – Featuring 3 Examples
- 5 Ways To Use Interactive Videos To Supercharge Your Online Training
- Turn Passivity To Interactivity: How To Use Interactive Videos For Learner Engagement
- How Can You Use Interactive Videos For Microlearning-Based Training