What is Microlearning?
Microlearning is a learning approach that leverages short, bite-sized training nuggets to improve knowledge gain. Typically designed to last between two and five minutes, with a maximum duration of seven minutes, Microlearning nuggets provide just-in-time knowledge, and are action-oriented to help meet specific learning outcomes.
In recent years, due to the several benefits it offers, Microlearning has evolved to gain center stage in learning. It offers sharp, focused learning nuggets that catch learner attention, who may be surrounded with several distractions and have diminishing attention spans.
What Makes Microlearning an Effective Strategy?
Microlearning makes for an effective learning strategy due to several reasons. Some of the key reasons why learners find microlearning-based training useful are as listed below:
- It is short, precise, and focused, which saves learners’ time.
- It can be taken on-the-go, making it more accessible.
- It is available in the learners’ workflow, enabling learners to access it when needed.
- Its multi-device support provides learners with the flexibility as to when and how they want to consume it.
- It uses interactive elements, such as videos and multimedia, which makes learning more engaging, immersive, and
Microlearning is becoming increasingly popular with L&D teams due to the following reasons:
- In today’s multi-generational workforce, learners across profiles find it engaging and appealing.
- It provides a sticky learning experience.
- High completion rates.
- It empowers learners to apply the acquired learning on the job.
- With its ability to personalize learning paths or learning journeys, it enables learners to gain proficiency and trigger the required behavioral changes.
- Through ongoing learning reinforcement, it can effectively offset the “forgetting curve” and replace it with a “retention curve.”
Top 10 Microlearning Trends in 2024
Microlearning is here to stay. Its learner-centric approach and the ability to offer learners with just-in-time and device-agnostic access to bite-sized and focused training modules is revolutionizing the training landscape.
It is recommended that organizations keep abreast with Microlearning trends to realize maximum benefits from their Microlearning implementation. The top 10 Microlearning trends to watch out for in 2024 are as described below:
AI Powered Learning:
In 2024, Microlearning is embracing AI-powered learning. This trend leverages Artificial Intelligence and Machine Learning to provide highly personalized, bite-sized learning experiences. Its significance lies in catering to individual learning needs, making it a game-changer in the current workplace. To leverage this trend, organizations can integrate AI algorithms into their Microlearning platforms to analyze data and deliver tailored content, ensuring that employees receive the most relevant information exactly when they need it.
The year 2024 sees Microlearning taking a leap with immersive learning techniques like Augmented Reality (AR), Virtual Reality (VR), and Mixed Reality (MR). Immersive Microlearning is a significant advancement in workplace dynamics as it provides engaging, hands-on experiences. To leverage this, organizations can create short, scenario-based Microlearning modules that seamlessly fit into an employee’s workflow, enhancing the effectiveness of training.
In 2024, Microlearning is becoming a driver of inclusive training, covering topics such as Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion (DEI) and Sustainability. This trend is significant as it promotes social responsibility and a diverse workforce. To leverage this, organizations can utilize Microlearning to deliver concise yet impactful content on DEI and sustainability, ensuring all employees have access to important information.
Talent Retention Strategy:
Microlearning takes a central role in talent retention strategies by focusing on preparing employees for the future through reskilling and upskilling. Its significance is paramount in retaining and nurturing top talent. To leverage this, organizations can offer Microlearning modules for on-demand, just-in-time training, enabling employees to continuously develop their skills.
In 2024, the concept of a learning culture is becoming more pronounced, and Microlearning is an enabler in this regard. Learning in the Flow of Work is at the core of this trend. Microlearning minimizes work disruptions while encouraging a culture of continuous and lifelong learning. To leverage this trend, organizations can integrate Microlearning into daily routines, offering short, engaging learning experiences that seamlessly blend with work.
Microlearning is at the forefront of personalized learning in 2024. It addresses specific skill gaps, aligns with just-in-time learning needs, and incorporates interactive elements like simulations and games. Its significance lies in providing employees with highly customized and engaging learning experiences. To leverage this, organizations can design Microlearning modules that cater to individual learning needs, enhancing engagement and knowledge retention.
Holistic Skill Development:
Soft skills, including leadership, performance management, coaching, mentoring, and emotional intelligence, are the focus of Microlearning in 2024. Its significance is in fostering well-rounded professionals who can thrive in today’s collaborative work environments. To leverage this trend, organizations can create Microlearning content that provides practical insights and exercises for developing these crucial soft skills.
LXP Driven Learning:
Learning Experience Platforms (LXPs) are becoming enriched by Microlearning. This trend offers a more user-centric approach, incorporating features like badges, leaderboards, and personalized learning journeys. To leverage this, organizations can use Microlearning to create engaging learning pathways within LXPs, enhancing the overall learning experience.
Collaborative, informal, and self-paced learning is gaining prominence, and Microlearning is seamlessly integrating with these trends. To leverage this, organizations can incorporate Microlearning into their social learning platforms, fostering knowledge sharing and peer-to-peer learning.
Mental Health and Wellbeing:
In 2024, organizations are adopting small, easily digestible bursts of Microlearning to address employee mental health and wellbeing. This trend is significant in supporting employee wellness. To leverage this, organizations can create Microlearning modules focused on mental health, offering accessible resources for their employees’ well-being.
Future of Microlearning
Microlearning is no passing fad. It has gained a strong foothold in organizational training strategy and continues to transform online training formats.
Microlearning in 2024 is poised to create significant value across various training types.
- For Induction and Onboarding, Microlearning’s bite-sized format ensures that new hires quickly grasp essential information, minimizing information overload. It can be leveraged by providing short, engaging modules on company culture, policies, and expectations, thereby streamlining the onboarding process.
- For Retraining and Upskilling, whether for new or returning employees, Microlearning offers a flexible approach. Its just-in-time content allows individuals to acquire or refresh skills efficiently, adapting to their specific needs. This is particularly valuable as it helps organizations keep their workforce current and adaptable.
- In the realm of Compliance, Microlearning offers accessible, engaging, and regularly updated content. It ensures employees stay informed about changing regulations and guidelines, reducing compliance risks.
- Health and Safety training benefits from Microlearning due to its ability to deliver quick, actionable safety tips and procedures in small, easily digestible portions. This enhances employee well-being and mitigates workplace risks.
- Microlearning plays a pivotal role in Diversity, Equity, and Inclusiveness (DEI) Training by providing concise, thought-provoking content that encourages awareness and understanding of these crucial topics. Its approach helps build a more inclusive workplace culture.
- For Sales Training, Microlearning’s flexibility is an asset. It can provide sales teams with bite-sized product information, selling techniques, and customer insights, making it an ideal choice for busy professionals who need just-in-time knowledge.
- Leadership Training is enriched by Microlearning as it offers short, practical leadership insights, fostering the development of leadership skills. It is particularly effective in creating agile, future-ready leaders.
- In Professional Skills Training, Microlearning is valuable for honing a wide range of skills, from time management to communication. It offers targeted, actionable content that can be applied immediately, contributing to professional growth.
Microlearning remains a versatile and powerful learning strategy in 2024, aligning with various emerging workplace trends to provide flexible, engaging, and impactful learning experiences. Organizations can leverage Microlearning to address the dynamic needs of their workforce while staying ahead in the ever-evolving landscape of professional development.
Creating a Stronger Link between Learning and Performance
For all of the time and resources dedicated to building and delivering learning programs — plus the time asked of…
> Read Insight
7 Tips To Use Branching Scenarios As eLearning Assessment Tools
Branching scenarios help build real-world experience, but they also have the power to gauge employee progress and identify gaps. In…
> Read Insight
How to Improve New Hire Integration and Engagement with Onboarding Gamification ...
New employees in today’s hybrid work paradigm hope for purpose, involvement, and growth in their workplace – beyond salary expectations.…
> Read Insight