You may have read about a Microsoft study that pegs the human attention span at 8 seconds while the attention span of a goldfish is believed to be 9 seconds.
We may or may not agree with the results of the study but there is clearly a need to have learning strategies that can offset the challenge of dwindling attention spans. In this blog, I highlight how usage of Microlearning is helping learners and organisations offset the challenge of dwindling attention spans and why it makes business sense for you to adopt it.
What is Microlearning?
Microlearning in corporate training is not “eLearning-lite”. So, just splicing the existing 30 minutes eLearning course into 5 nuggets does not create Microlearning nuggets.
Microlearning is short, bite-sized learning (of 3-7 mins length or shorter) that was designed to meet a specific learning outcome.
You can use Microlearning in corporate training to help learners:
- Learn new aspects
- Go deeper into specific aspects
- Solve a particular problem
- Equip them on how to handle something that has changed
What are the key aspects of Microlearning in Corporate Training?
Typically, designed to be available across all devices, its multi-device capability provides flexibility to take it on desktops, laptops, tablets or smartphones.
While its usage initially began for Informal learning (notably as Performance Support or just-in-time learning aids to support or reinforce primary training), today it is being used for all aspects of corporate training including:
- Formal training: As a series of nuggets connected through a learning path
- Performance Support Tools
- Pre- or Post-workshop support for Instructor Led Training (ILT)
- Microlearning in corporate training features usage of high impact, rich media formats (like animated videos, interactive videos, mobile apps and so on) to create highly engaging and immersive learning experience.
- Coupled with advantages of short-run length and its design to meet a specific learning need, it comes as no surprise why it has gained tremendous popularity in the last two years.
What are the top 10 benefits of adopting Microlearning?
Microlearning in corporate training offers gains to both learners and to business. Here is my list of top 10 benefits that clearly illustrate why you should adopt Microlearning.
Benefits for Learners
- Less Time Consuming: Microlearning is ideal to mitigate the challenges of attention spans.
- Learner-Centric: All of us live in a world of distractions and anything that is short, easy to assimilate is certainly welcome. Nearly 80% of L&D professionals confirm that Microlearning is the preferred approach for their learners.
- Better Learning Experience: Use of high impact, rich media formats creates a higher engagement quotient as well as sticky learning experiences.
- Just-in-Time Availability: Microlearning nuggets are available to learners exactly at the moment of their need and more specifically, within their workflow. Both these factors lead to a “pull” of these assets by learners (in contrast to the “push” of traditional eLearning by L&D teams).
- Accessible and Flexible: Microlearning assets are designed for multi-device delivery offering learners the accessibility of the training on the device of their choice. This offers tremendous flexibility to the learners.
Benefits for Business
- Microlearning can be used to meet most of the corporate training needs (and for both formal and informal learning).
- Given shorter run lengths as compared to traditional eLearning, the Microlearning nuggets are more cost-effective.
- As a logical extension, Microlearning nuggets have a shorter development cycle.
- Microlearning is also easier to update and re-deploy.
- Create higher impact: Studies indicate that Microlearning based training creates 50% more engagement and leads to better completion rates and more sticky learning. When designed as Performance Support (learning aids), it improves the application of the learning on the job.
I hope this blog provides you with compelling reasons on why you should adopt Microlearning for corporate training in your organisation. If you have any queries, do contact me at email@example.com.
Want more insight on how you can use Microlearning and achieve a higher ROI?
Schedule a call with our Solutions Architecting Team.
- How To Use Microlearning To Promote Informal Learning At The Workplace
- Why Adopt Microlearning – 15 Questions Answered
- How Are Performance Support Tools Different From Training? 3 PST Examples Featuring Microlearning
- 10 Ways To Use Microlearning To Make Your Corporate Training More Effective
- Free eBook: How Can You Create Macro Impact With Micro Nuggets
8 Effective Approaches to Gamify Your VILT Programs and Drive Remote Learner Eng...
Lockdowns mean more employees will learn from home. It is imperative that instructors identify approaches to effectively engage distance learners.…
> Read Insight
Tips and Strategies to Shorten New Hire Time-to-Productivity with Employee Onboa...
Introduction Knowledge transfer and skills enhancement remain a key focus area of employee onboarding training. There is one metric underpinning…
> Read Insight
15 Tips and Strategies to Engage Remote Learners Through High-impact Virtual Tra...
With a manifold increase on Virtual Training in the last few months, the focus shifts towards the approaches to increase…
> Read Insight