While usage of videos in eLearning and mobile learning courses is an established practice, it is Interactive video, its updated avatar that is being proclaimed as the next big thing for online training. In this blog, I outline how can you use Interactive Videos effectively in eLearning.
Before I highlight how can you use Interactive Videos effectively in eLearning, let us look at the key differences between videos and interactive videos. We also look at the key benefits that an eLearning approach based on Interactive Videos provides.
Then I showcase how you can use Interactive Videos effectively in eLearning (both for formal and informal learning). This is not all, I also provide pointers on how you can further enhance the impact of Interactive Video-based learning.
What Differentiates An Interactive Video From A Classic Video?
Classic or traditional videos although very engaging and in widespread use, do not offer any control to the learner (beyond, start, stop and pause).
While this does not impact the expected gain from short videos, it becomes a serious shortcoming when:
- The run lengths of the videos is long.
- You need to checkpoint the learner’s assimilation.
This is exactly where the next avatar of videos for eLearning or Interactive Videos fit in. They are designed to provide learning interactions that are similar to the interactions in an eLearning courses.
With This Approach:
- You can use the videos to be longer length (aligned to the learning outcomes) but have adequate interactions to engage the learner.
- You can also checkpoint the learning assimilation through quizzes and assessments.
- You can allow learner to progress through multiple paths (based on choices at crucial decision points) by providing branching options.
- The output of this approach is SCORM compatible enabling you to track the learner’s progress.
What Are The Key Gains As You Opt For Interactive Videos?
The key advantages are:
- Studies confirm that an Interactive video has 10 times the impact of a traditional video.
- The moment you remove passive viewing (associated with traditional videos) and replace it with meaningful learning interactions and assessments, (associated with Interactive Videos) you will see a higher engagement quotient with your learners.
- You can validate if the learning mandate is met (expected take-aways as per the required cognition level). Wide ranging options of Formative assessments or Check Your Knowledge as well as Summative assessments enable you to achieve this.
- Appeals to all profiles of learners.
- You can multiply the impact of the learning experience. You can enhance the impact of your training delivery by combining Interactive Videos with other techniques like Gamification and Microlearning.
How Can Interactive Videos Be Used For Various Corporate Training Needs?
Most organizations use the 70–20–10 model of learning that factors for formal, informal and on the job training.
In line with this, the Interactive Videos can be used to offer:
- Formal training: Interactive videos are a great fit for Compliance, Soft-skills and Professional skills trainings. They are equally high impact approach for specific trainings like Sales training, Product training and supporting or driving Change Management programs.
- As Performance Support Tools or job aids to support formal training: Interactive Video-based nuggets can be part of the leaning path that provides support to the learners post the formal training program. They can be used to reinforce primary training or be designed to practice certain concepts and enable for an effective application of the learning on the job.
- To support Instructor-Led Training: With increasing digitization of ILT sessions to a more blended approach, you can use the Interactive Video-based nuggets to provide practice sessions (role plays or complex decision-making simulations). They can also be used to offer real-life scenario-based assessments.
What More Can Be Achieved By Integrating Interactive Videos In Your Learning Strategy?
This is limited by your imagination. Here are a few ideas that you can use:
- Use them as Microlearning nuggets
- Offer them as a learning path
- Design them to offer formal training as well as for Performance Support (job aids)
- Integrate other interesting components like Gamification
- Offer Personalization options (from a repository of assets)
I hope this blog provides a good insight on the benefits of using Interactive Videos for eLearning. You can use them to enhance the impact of most of your corporate training needs. If you have any queries, do contact me at email@example.com.
Want more insights on how you can use the power of Interactive Videos to enhance the impact of your corporate training?
Schedule a call with our Solutions Architecting Team.
- Case Study Featuring The Use Of YouTube Content In A Trackable Interactive Video Format
- 5 Killer Examples Of Interactive Videos For Corporate Training
- How Can You Improve Your Corporate Training ROI Through Interactive Videos – Featuring 3 Examples
- 5 Ways To Use Interactive Videos To Supercharge Your Online Training
- Free eBook: How To Use Interactive Videos For Learner Engagement And Supercharge Your Online Training
DEI Training Strategies that Will Help You Shift Mindsets, Overcome Biases, and ...
Many organizations prioritize Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion (DEI) but view it primarily as HR’s responsibility. This article outlines why DEI…
> Read Insight
eLearning Authoring Tools Expertise
Your challenge Your learner population is already exposed to a wide range of technological advancements and expects high-quality experiences in…
> Read Insight
Strategies to Enhance the Impact of Storytelling in eLearning – Featuring 3 Exam...
Though less used, storytelling in eLearning can create powerful, engaging experiences - leading to sticky learning. In this article, I…
> Read Insight